Saturday, December 21, 2013

ChumChum

It has been a very long time since I tried Bengali sweets in my kitchen. A few days ago I found a monthly event for desserts. I liked the idea and decided to join in. The group was started by Preeti of http://www.simplytadka.com/p/sweet-fant.html. Every month she picks one Indian and one non-Indian dessert. She shares the recipe with the group. Everyone in the group is expected to try the dessert in their kitchen and reveal their blog post on a given day. Today is the reveal date for this month's Indian dessert chum-chum.

I deviated from the shared recipe a little. First, I made my own rosogullas as I had made them many times before. I cannot stand the smell of the preservatives in the canned ones. Second, I refrain from using food color so mine came out almost white. Third, I did not make them as sweet as they are normally made. They tasted great and were gone within minutes.

A little over a week ago we had a nasty ice storm. All the roads were icy and we ran out of milk. My husband managed to drive to the grocery store only to find shelves near empty. The only milk available was whole milk. Since he wanted milk for tea he picked up half a gallon. By the time the icy roads were clear only half of the whole milk was used. The other half was sitting in the refrigerator. That is what I decided to use for the chum-chum. I wanted to make as few as I could.


You will need
6 roshogullas
1/2 cup sugar
5 pistachios partially pounded in a pestle and mortar
1 cardamom pod, shelled and insides powdered
fresh cream

To make the roshogullas you will need paneer. Follow this recipe to make homemade paneer. Alternately you could use store bought roshogullas.

In a pan add the sugar to about 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.

Divide the fresh made paneer into 6 large marble sized balls.


Shape them into elongated rosogullas.


Add these to the boiling sugar water solution.


Cover and cook for 5 minutes on high heat. They will increase in size. Repeat the process and they will grow even more.


Take them off the heat and let them cool in the syrup. You have rosogullas. Remove the roshogullas from the syrup and drain. Cover in pistachios and cream and serve.


The original recipe source as posted by Preeti
http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/kesari-indrayani-foodfood.aspx

Sweet Fantasy Club- Pink

2 comments:

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.