Monday, December 30, 2013

Goan Poached Egg Curry

This is my first official entry to the 2014 52 Week Challenge. I found this challenge while surfing the web. A new theme is announced for each week and a new recipe is needed every week to match the theme. I am always looking out for something new to try so this seems like a perfect excuse.

The theme for this week was egg. I decided to make a Goan egg curry. My husband was not too keen on it as he has eaten some terrible versions of this curry in the IIT Delhi hostel mess. But he was a good sport and said he would give it a try.

I found my recipe written down ages ago and then just out of curiosity googled it. I found a recipe on a Goan recipes site. Instead of hard boiled eggs the recipe on this site called for the eggs to be poached in the gravy. I loved that idea so I decided to poach the eggs instead.

Now if you are Goan or have ever lived in Goa (like I did) you would know that there are slight differences in Goan food cooked in Hindu and Catholic homes. Both versions taste just as good but the ingredients differ. The kitchen smelled so good as the curry was cooking it made me wonder why I don't cook Goan food more often.

Coming back to the recipe, my family liked it. My husband could not bring himself to take seconds. My daughter found it spicy but loved it vey much.


You will need
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
2 tsp. tamarind extract
3 eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup coconut milk (I bought a can at the Indian store)

For the masala
3 dried red chilies
3 tbsp. grated coconut (I used fresh frozen)
2 pods garlic crushed
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. coriander seeds

Grind the ingredients for the masala to a fine paste. Mix it with the tamarind extract and turmeric powder. Heat oil in a pan and add the onions and tomato. Cook until most of the liquid disappears.


Add the fresh ground masala to the pan and let it cook for a 5 minutes.


This is where I used the poached egg recipe. Break each egg over the pan and add it in the gravy with the yolk intact.


Cover the egg with gravy and let it cook. Add the coconut milk and salt to taste.


Let the curry simmer until the eggs are well done.



Turn off the heat and serve hot. In Goa this curry is served with rice. I served it with hot


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.