Monday, February 17, 2014

Banana Cinnamon Muffins

Top of the muffin to you!


I borrowed that from Seinfeld, an episode where Elaine declares she prefers the muffin top to the rest of the muffin. Her colleague decides to go into business and sell muffin tops.

When I started looking for ideas for a TV show inspired recipe I first thought of Downton Abbey. We had watched a few episodes and there was a lot of food. But we didn't really like the show and stopped watching it so I started looking for ideas elsewhere. Seriously considered Big Bang Theory. They have food in every episode. But as a vegetarian I really did not feel like cooking a barbecue cheeseburger. So I started looking at older shows and good old Seinfeld it was.


Muffins are part of breakfast in my house so I keep making different types of muffins. I have to say I had never considered cutting off the top. With this recipe you should get 12 muffins. But I decided to overfill some of them to get a nice muffin top.

I had posted banana chocolate chip muffins earlier. These are a little different. The crust on these muffins is crisper.


You will need
2/3 cups sugar
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 eggs
1 large ripe banana
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used Chappati flour)
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Topping
1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon powder

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a muffin baking pan.

Whisk together sugar, brown sugar, oil and eggs in a mixing bowl until lemony.


Mash the banana and add it to the mixture. Add the vanilla extract and stir. Stir in the rest of the ingredients adding a little flour at a time. Do not beat. Mix until just combined.


Scoop the batter into the muffin pan. Bake for 15-19 minutes until the toothpick inserted in the center muffin comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack.


Melt the butter. In a separate bowl combine sugar and cinnamon powder. On each of the muffins pour a little butter and sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon powder.


I am submitting this for the eighth week of the 2014 52 Week Challenge for the theme TV Show Inspired.

5 comments:

  1. Tempting & just craving for this muffins..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Varada, this looks like a fun challenge. Where do I get the details of this.Please let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Varadaji, I expected egg free recipe , when you talked about a veg muffin. EGGs are NOT VEGETARIAN. Well, I will try a different one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vasudha, capital letters equates to yelling or shouting. Not sure why you are shouting at me. The definition of vegetarian differs all over the globe. Take what you like, leave what you don't.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.