Monday, March 3, 2014

Mexican Salsa

Salsa is Spanish for sauce but it did not originate in Spain. Salsa is a condiment from Mexico and the Southwest and has its origins in the Inca and Mayan period. Salsa is chili, tomato and spices thrown together.


There are so many variations of salsa using different varieties of chili. We used to have a salsa contest once a year in my office when we lived in Arizona. There were three categories, most flavorful, spicy hot and original. The contest was held on Cinco de mayo or the fifth of May. I am going to have to dig through old outlook PST files to retrieve some of the winning recipes.


Today I have a very basic and simple salsa. I made this as part of a meal inspired by the 'How to make the perfect...' series that runs in the Guardian Newspaper. I served salsa and black bean burger with lemon posset for dessert. I will post the recipes for these dishes over the next two days.

You will need
10-12 cherry tomatoes
4 shallots
a bunch cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper
1/2 lemon
salt to taste


Dice the tomatoes, shallots and cilantro. Dice the jalapeno, I remove the seeds and vein because nobody likes spicy food in my house. You can leave it in as per your tolerance level.


Mix the tomatoes, shallots, cilantro and jalapeno together. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon. Season with salt. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend.


This is my entry for week one, day one of BM #38 for the theme How to make the perfect... Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#38.

16 comments:

  1. oh my such an colorful salsa :) looks very inviting !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorful salsa live to munch on this morning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually cook the onions and tomatoes a little, it adds a nice seasoned flavor. Love your way too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very colorful! must be tasting great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite salsa, cant resist to them..

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a delicious one varada..before attempting salsa I had always thought it was different..and finally it is such a tempting one..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very colorful and the jalapeno definitely adds the special touch to salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love salsa but I think this is more pico de gallo as salsa the ingredients are usually cooked...no matter what its called sure looks delish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salsa can be raw or cooked. Pico de gallo is chunkier and is always raw. Raw salsa is has ingredients diced fine with their juices blended together.

      Delete
  9. Refreshing and delicious salsa.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.