Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Tamarind Rice (Puliyogare)

Tamarind rice is a tangy spicy rice that is great as a snack or in a meal. I first had this rice when I worked briefly in Bangalore. I loved it the first time I had it. I had forgotten all about it until I had it at a friends house years later.


Today I made it for school lunch as we were running a little late. I was a little worried about getting the brown cooked and cooled in time. Brown rice takes longer to cook than white but the close to freezing temperature outside helped. When the rice was done I spread it in a mixing bowl and put it outside to cool. We were out of the house on time with a delicious packed lunch.

You will need
2 cups brown rice
2 1/2 tbsp. puliyogare masala
2 tbsp olive oil
1 dried red chili pepper
4-5 curry leaves
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. urad dal
1 tsp. channa dal
1/4 tsp. asafoetida
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. tamarind paste
1 tbsp. jaggery
a handful roasted peanuts

Wash and cook the brown rice in a pan with 4 cups water on medium heat. When the water comes to a boil, cover and let it cook until soft but not mushy. Spread it in the mixing bowl and cool completely.

Mix the tamarind paste in 1/4 cup of water and keep aside. In a separate pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle add the urad dal, channa dal, asafoetida, turmeric powder and the curry leaves. Snap the red pepper into two and add it to the oil. Let it cook for a minute. Add the tamarind water and jaggery. Cook this on medium flame until the tamarind is cooked.

Pour the tempered tamarind oil over the cooled rice and mix it well. Add salt to taste. Add the puliyogare masala and roasted peanuts. Mix well. The rice is best eaten after a couple hours when the flavors have had a chance to blend together.


This is my entry for week three, day three of BM #38 for the theme rice dishes. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#38.

9 comments:

  1. Love this tangy rice and comforting Rice :) looks yummm !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love puliyogare and thanks for sharing this healthy brown rice version

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite go-to rice dish.. Using brown rice sounds healthy & nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never get bored of this rice, brown rice makes this tangy rice more healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, the name itself makes me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a tasty dish and using brown rice is a good substitute for health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love puliyogare any day and making it with brown rice makes it a little healthier too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.