Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Jalebi

Today I am posting a recipe from Madhya Pradesh. Every day this month I will post a recipe from a different state in India.


My husband's family is from Madhya Pradesh. On my first visit there I visited a few of the cities. But as a new bride I never got a chance to go out much. Most of the time was spent with family.

I heard of doodh jalebi as a viable combination on my first trip to Gwalior. My reaction is not suitable to be printed in a food blog. If I thought doodh jalebi was odd, imagine my surprise at being told about the Indori jalebi poha where jalebi is served with poha. As it turns out in Madhya Pradesh you cannot go wrong with jalebi. You can have it at any time of the day and with any type of meal. So when I had to pick one dish from Madhya Pradesh I had to pick jalebi.


Years ago I had made jalebi with my sister-in-law. She has gotten the recipe and waited for us to visit so she and I could try it together. I never made it myself until now though I had the recipe jotted down on my recipe card.

I made this dish three times in an attempt to get decent pictures. The taste was great but the pictures were blah! After the third attempt I gave up.

You will need
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tbsp. besan
a pinch of baking powder
1/2 cup yogurt

For the sugar syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and keep aside for 4-5 hours.


Heat oil in a pan for frying. Pour the mixture into a dispenser bottle.


Test the temperature of the oil by squeezing a drop of the batter into the oil. If it rises to the surface immediately then the oil is ready. Squeeze batter from the bottle to form a jalebi. Let it rise to the surface and brown.


Flip it over and brown the other side. Remove from heat when done. Repeat for the rest of the batter. Heat the sugar and water together in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Let it thicken a little. Turn off heat.


Dip the fried jalebis one by one in the syrup solution and put them on a plate to dry. Serve hot with milk.


This is my entry for day 15 of BM #39 for the state of Madhya Pradesh. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#39.








17 comments:

  1. they look so much better than what i have made, felt good to read about your experience as a new bride..it is always weird

    ReplyDelete
  2. They came out pretty attractive, i dont mind having some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also use the squeeze bottle to make jangri (cousin of jalebi),,,, so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting read!...the jalebis look good, as long as they are jalebis who cares..the gooey syrupy...hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious. Love to try it out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty looking mawa jilebis..makes me drool,thanks for sharing the step wise tutorial..

    ReplyDelete
  7. jalebis look great.. will try sometime when I gather up enough courage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one. I thought the dispenser bottle is a lot messy Should try out the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh if you must know my own experience when I had made these for the first time, then you will know..:)..I used as many as things as I could to get those shapes good..heheh..anyway your jalebis don't look so bad as you say..after all the taste is what that matters in the end..nice reading about your experience...I guess all of us get shocked on hearing such different combinations...but we live and learn...I must try this combination sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  10. homemade jalebis look way better than the store bought ones

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like Valli said, I used a ziplock bag and a squirt bottle to make the jalebis, still not satisfied with the shape. But I think I'll let the professionals make the jalebis and I'll just buy from them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Varada its the taste that matter.Dont give up you will get there and try a shallow vessel for frying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now you sound like me, 3 attempts for better picture! :) Well, at the end of the day it is taste that matters. Even I tried them trice but for a different state.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems like the flavor of the day. Juicy and scrumptious jalebis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recipe seems to be the star of MP.Rightly said jelabi and poha combo!I cant imagine to have these two together in a meal. And for this one,its the taste that matters :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have tried atleast 3 times, must see mine!! The taste matters a lot!! As long it is good, shape doesn't bother much!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.