Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tomato Picnic Sandwiches

As a twenty something graduate student I went on a lot of picnics and hikes with my friends. These picnic sandwiches used to make a great lunch. They taste better cold once all the flavores have blended making them perfect candidates for picnics.


Today I used fresh made mini buns instead of using sandwich bread. I baked the buns using my sourdough buns recipe but kept the size smaller (80 gm) than a burger bun (100 gm).

You will need
2 buns
1 large tomato
1 tsp. olive oil
1/4 cup onion
1/2 Serrano pepper, desseded and minced
a pinch sugar
salt to taste
handful cilantro

Bring water to a boil in a pan. Score the tomato and put it in the water for 3-4 minutes. Take it out of the water and peel the skin off. Dice and keep aside.


Meanwhile dice the onion. Heat oil in a pan and add the onion and the pepper. Saute until the onion is translucent.


Add the cooked tomato pulp, sugar and salt to taste.


Cook the mixture until all the liquid evaporates. The mixture should be dry or it will get the bread soggy.


Chop the cilantro and add it to the dried out tomato mixture. Turn off the heat. Let it cool completely.


Apply butter on the bread slices or cut up bun. Fill with the tomato mixture.


Enjoy!

This is my entry for week four, day one of BM #41 for the theme picnic hamper. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#41.

12 comments:

  1. Wow that's such superb recipe Varada..I am sure it is great with rotis too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have taken me back to old times when mom used to make this chutney and we would apply it both on breads and chapattis. ..and yes I like the buns that you have baked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting sandwich , I would love to try some....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple recipe that makes for a great picnic idea. A must try for our next day-out. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an interesting way to serve sandwiches, Varada!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious and filling sandwich,perfect for picnics..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sandwich is alluring, i am in love with that tomato masala.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice. Is this masala stays for 2 days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make it the day I need it. I would keep it refrigerated or on ice if it is needed after 2 days.

      Delete
  9. Those buns are perfectly cut n to two halves! The first thing that caught my eye is two symmetrical 1/2 buns. Tomato spread is easy and looks so flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a tempting looking tomato sandwich. Love that tomato filling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. quick tasty sandwich perfect for picnic

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.