Monday, August 25, 2014

Twice Baked Potatoes

My daughter loves baked potatoes so I make those often. I have always wanted to try these twice baked potatoes. I had a recipe printed out years ago but never got around to making it before.


I bought medium Russel potatoes and broccoli two months back to try these. Instead I used up the potatoes for some bhaji and the broccoli for the broccoli cheddar soup bowls. The soup is served in hollowed out bread bowls and seemed like a much better use for the broccoli. 


Last month I bought the potatoes again with hopes of making the twice baked potatoes but forgot all about the broccoli. Again I used the potatoes for something else. This time I bought both the potatoes and the broccoli but I have been procrastinating for days. Finally today I decided to make the potatoes. They turned out great.

You will need
2 medium Russel potatoes
2 tsp. olive oil, divided
7-8 small broccoli florets
1 tbsp. sour cream
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese
salt and black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 F. Wash and scrub the potatoes to get the dirt off the jackets. Rub a teaspoon oil over the skin. Pierce with a fork at one inch intervals all around and place on a baking sheet. The sheet does not have to be greased. Bake for 30-35 minutes flipping them over once half way through.

Meanwhile heat the other teaspoon of oil in a pan and saute the broccoli florets until tender. Cut them into small pieces and keep aside. When the potatoes are done let them cool enough to be handled easily. Slice vertically to get two flat wide halves. Using a spoon scoop the center out of each half leaving an eighth of an inch of pulp in the jacket. 


Combine the broccoli with the cooked potato pulp, the sour cream, paprika, oregano and half of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.


Return the mixture to the jackets. Put it back in the oven for 5 minutes.


Sprinkle cheese over the top and put it back in the oven until the cheese melts, another 2-3 minutes. 


The potatoes are done.


They are best eaten hot.

10 comments:

  1. wow thats is an very interesting baked potato with all potato gudness filled :) tempting me dear !! I even love bread bowl filled with soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow amazing..potatoes and cheese great combo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those twice baked potatoes makes me hungry even after having my dinner, will try this dish soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome looking potatoes Varada, I am loving your pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could be a great appetizer. This is one interesting way to use broccoli, Varada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. I am sure my kids will love these too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potatoes looks awesome , love the wonderful clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must try this.Looks so good Varada...

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this recipe, I will have to try this very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.