Thursday, September 4, 2014

Danish Rhubarb Cold Soup

The idea of cold soup on a hot summer day is very appealing. So when I found a cold soup for my Danish meal I took the chance and tried it. It is a dairy based broth using buttermilk and yogurt - just what you need to cool down on a hot day.


The recipe is simple and gave me a chance to use rhubarb. I had always eyed rhubarb at the grocery store and wondered what I could use it in. This soup is the perfect recipe. Rhubarb has a strong pleasant aftertaste that goes very well with the buttermilk and yogurt flavors.

You will need
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup Greek non fat yogurt
1 tablespoon sugar

For the compote
2 long stalks rhubarb
1/4 cup cold water
2 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Nila wafers to garnish

In a bowl whisk together the buttermilk, Greek yogurt and sugar. Keep aside covered in the refrigerator.


Wash and clean the rhubarb. It looks like this.


Cut it into inch pieces. Put all the ingredients for the compote in a pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Turn off heat and let it sit for another 5 minutes. Blend until smooth in a blender. Refrigerate until completely cool. Combine with the buttermilk yogurt mixture. Refrigerate until needed,


The cold soup is ready. Garnish with Nila wafers.

10 comments:

  1. Never used rhubarb in my cooking, quite an interesting soup..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never cooked with rhubarb. I am surprised the soup is not pink. I assumed anything cooked with rhubarb would be pink in color. Apparently my assumption was wrong. This is nice comforting & stomach soothing soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned a very subtle pink too light to notice in the picture. I thought it would be pink too. I think it was the rhubarb I used. When I cooked it the color just bled away leaving a very pale pink cooked rhubarb. It had all the flavor though it didn't have the color.

      Delete
  3. Refreshing soup. Will have to try out rhubarb to know how this would taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only ever had rhubarb in dessert - rhubarb pie. Interesting to see it in savory presentation

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tasted / cooked with rhubarb.But the soup sounds very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like rhubarb flavor and would love to try this soup very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love to try this rhubarb varada, as usha said, I too was expecting a pinky soup!! Nice and comforting bowl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting..only heard of rhubarb, never tried or tasted...what's the flavor like..I some how always thought we could use it in pastries. The soup looks so nice, so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard of rhubarb of never tasted it. Soup looks nice

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.