Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sourdough Chocolate Banana Cake

Banana is the most abundantly available fruit and we end up with ripe or override bananas in the house frequently. I had two such overripe bananas in my freezer that were waiting to be used up. I already have an awesome banana bundt cake recipe but I wanted to make something different.


I had bookmarked a King Arthur recipe for sourdough chocolate cake a while back but never got around to making it. The idea of using sourdough in cake sounded appealing. Today as I was feeding the starter I decided to make this cake. I modified it to use the frozen overripe bananas. The cake turned out great, soft and moist but I really should have halved the original recipe. It was a lot of cake.


I do not have an electric mixer by choice. If I have to use an electric mixer I use my ancient hand mixer. The hand mixer back when I bought it did not come with a dough hook, something I need to invest in now. As such I had to mix the batter with my hands. I ended up with small streaks of sourdough running through the cake. I could not get a completely homogeneous mixture even though I tried to break up the flour and mix it in evenly. There was no difference in taste so we were able to ignore it. I did not tell anyone else and no one noticed it.

You will need
1 cup fed starter
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 overripe bananas
1 cup oil
1 1/2 sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract

The starter should be used 3-4 hours after it has been fed. Combine the starter with flour and milk. Cover and keep aside for 3-4 hours. It will not rise much but its texture will be softer and it will expand horizontally.


Preheat oven to 350 F. Peel and mash the bananas. In a separate bowl combine all the ingredients expect the flour and starter mixture. Beat well.


Add the flour mixture. If you have an electric mixture or a dough hook on your handheld mixture continue to beat at low speed until the batter is homogeneous. If not, use your hands to split up the flour and combine with the liquid. When done transfer to a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Let it cool a little in the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack.


Enjoy!

This is my entry for week one, day three of BM #45 for the theme Cakes, muffins with fruit and vegetables. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#45.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, this cake looks fabulous and very delicious, am yet to try my hands with sourdough starter..

    ReplyDelete
  2. good use of frozen banana..i have yet to try banana in my baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats an interesting use of sourdough in a fruit based cake :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a yummy cake with sourdough and banana, Bookmarked it and will be trying this out real soon. My starter is a little liquidy than yours, do you think I can reduce the milk quantity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an 80% starter. You might want to adjust the quantity of milk if your starter is at a higher %.

      Delete
  5. Never had sourdough I guess. .looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sour dough a cake , must try this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't used sourdough so far but that bread looks amazing. Soft and dense at the same time and the color is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the texture of this cake. I am yet to get into the 'sourdough business' :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so wonderful Varada, using sourdough for a cake is cool..:)..and a wonderful mix of banana and chocolate..

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake looks beautifully chocolate-y and moist. Using sourdough starter in a cake is an interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so chocolaty.....never ventured into sourdough starters...time to learn from you

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.