Thursday, December 11, 2014

Amrakhand / Mango Shrikhand

Amrakhand is a variation of the classic shrikhand. Shrikhand is a delicious Maharashtrian dessert made with hung yogurt. It is very easy to make but takes some time as the yogurt has to be drained of all liquid. It is made for birthdays, naming ceremonies, engagements, weddings as well as religious and social festivals. It is one of the most popular desserts in Maharashtra.


Amrakhand is mango flavored shrikhand and is usually made during the spring mango season. If you do not mind using mango pulp like I did, then you can make it year around. Shrikhand/amrakhand is one of the few desserts that my daughter loves. So I try to make it a few times a year. She had this for a snack several days in a row until it was all gone.


I had heard of a quick recipe to make shrikhand using greek yogurt and sour cream. I used a tub of Stonyfield Greek yogurt. It tasted delicious but the texture was a little runny. Next time I will hang up the greek yogurt for an hour or two. You can garnish the shrikhand with nuts of your choice. I did not use any as my daughter does not like nuts added to anything.

You will need
1 5 oz. tub Greek yogurt (I used Stonyfield)
3 tbsp. sour cream
1/2 cup mango pulp
1/4 cup sugar

If the yogurt looks a little runny tie it in a cheese cloth or muslin cloth for an hour to drain the liquid. Combine the drained yogurt with the other ingredients in a mixing bowl. Blend together using a hand blender, immersion blender or a whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for a few hours.


Enjoy!




This is my entry for week two, day two of BM #47 for the theme Indian desserts. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#47.

9 comments:

  1. Amrakhand looks awesome..nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inviting bowl of amrakhand..I love to make this during the season..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing!! love the color, texture, flavor.. yummm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never get bored of this incredible Amrakhand, my all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubbys favorite, loves shrikhand in any flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen Shrikand recipes with sour cream, but never tried it. Your amrakhand looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious! I have never had amarakhand and this is so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lip-smacking Good, Love the clicks, the colors are so good!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.