Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Misthi Doi

Mishti Doi or sweetened yogurt is a delicacy from the state of West Bengal. The first time I had mishti doi was in Bangalore in a sweet store called K. C. Das. They sold it in mud pots and it tasted divine. I have not eaten mishti doi in a really long time because I had no idea how to make it. Recently an online friend gave me her tried and tested recipe.


It is a very simple baked recipe. When I got it I was really excited to try it but I wondered who would eat it at home. My daughter is not fond of sweet desserts and my husband does not eat anything with sugar. That was when I remembered my sister and her family were coming for a visit so I thought that would be the best time to make it. Unfortunately, when they were here we had a lot of pie left over and I simply could not make more dessert. So I decided not to make it. After they had left I was back to square one. Who would eat the dessert? I wanted to try it so bad. I got my daughter to promise me she would try it and I went ahead with the recipe.


Make sure you use yogurt with live culture. Either use homemade yogurt or store bought brand that you know has live culture. I used Gopi brand from the Indian store. It takes a while for the yogurt to set. The bowl of yogurt is kept undisturbed for several hours first in the oven and then in the refrigerator. The end result was pretty good. If I were to make this again I would use 3/4 of a can of condensed milk. But if you like your dessert sweet you will love it.

You will need
1 can condensed milk (I used non fat milk but would recommend full fat)
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup yogurt (I used Gopi brand from the Indian store)

Preheat oven to 250 F. Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-60 minutes. Turn off heat to the oven. Do not open the door or take the bowl out. Leave the bowl in the cooling oven for a few hours. Ideally bake the yogurt in the evening and leave it in the oven overnight. The next morning transfer the bowl to the refrigerator. The dessert will be ready after lunch.


I got a thicker layer at the top. I think that was the result of the fat free condensed milk. To avoid that you can use full fat condensed milk.


Enjoy!




This is my entry for week two, day one of BM #47 for the theme Indian Desserts. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#47.


This is my entry for day 5 of the Bake-a-thon 2014


17 comments:

  1. What yoghurt did you use Varada Didi? Regular or Greek?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Gopi brand yogurt from the Indian store. You can use any yogurt with live culture. Greek yogurt will work well too.

      Delete
  2. Few years ago I tied this baked misthi doi and my bong friend said it tastes like how her mom makes it back home. Mouthwatering bowl of sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misti doi looks superb.. Have to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow such decedent misthi doi :) looks so delicious and creamy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish i get a bowl of this alluring Misti doi, beautiful dessert Varada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is looking so delish Varada!...great one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a fan of Mishti doi but this and KC das bring back a lot of memories.. I used to love their ghee wala samosas and matke KA rasagullas..

    ReplyDelete
  8. My all time favorite.. Pass me the bowl dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious!!! I have tried the steamed version, must give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made Mishti doi long time back and really loved it. Like you, there are no takers for this yogurt based dessert at home, so I have to eat it by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks too good Varada! I have made it once at home and we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. texture looks so luscious and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's made perfectly Varada..I did try it once my hubby loved it...but I am not a great fan of this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The condensed milk can was 14 oz. The evaporated milk can was 12 oz. Let me know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.