Sunday, January 4, 2015

Mumbai Frankie

The street food of Mumbai is well known, pav bhaji, vada pav, bhel etc. are the more popular foods. Frankie is very well loved in some parts of Mumbai. It is a tortilla/chapati with chutney, some kind of cooked patti or stir fry and some salad all wrapped up to make one delicious meal. I have wanted to make it for the longest time. When I got a few days off at the end of the year I decided to make it. It was perfect for a light lunch. I made it completely onion, garlic and oil free.


None of us have eaten the real Frankie in Mumbai. When I worked briefly in Mumbai I stayed away from the street food. There was a Mumbai style fast food place close to my daughter's ballet school. Exactly twice three years ago I picked up dinner from that place. The only thing appetizing was the Frankie. Actually it was pretty good and so my interest in the Frankie grew. Since then I always make it a point to look out for recipes of the Frankie. This recipe is a hash of everything I found nice about all the recipes I read. I should ideally call this the Mumbai Frankie made my way.


The chapati for the Frankie is usually made with maida increasing elasticity to keep it from tearing. I never buy or use maida so I used my regular whole wheat chapati flour with a tablespoon of all purpose flour. I rolled the chapati's thicker than I usually do to make it easier to wrap.

You will need
For the Chapati/Poli
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. all purpose flour
water as needed

For the Green Chutney
1 hot red chili pepper
1 large bunch cilantro
a squirt lime juice
salt to taste

For the Filling
2 medium potato
2 oz. paneer
1 small bunch cilantro
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. cumin and coriander powder
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper powder
1 tsp. amchur powder (dried mango peel powder)
salt to taste

For the Salad
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp. lime juice
salt to taste

To make the chapati/poli
In a mixing bowl combine all the flours and knead with just enough water to make a soft dough. Let it rest for a few minutes.

Heat a griddle pan, I used cast iron. But you can use any flat pan of your choice. Divide the dough in lemon sized portions. Roll out one portion on a working surface with a rolling pin. Keep it thick about a fourth of an inch.


Place the rolled dough on the hot griddle. Flip it over in a couple of seconds and let it cook through. It should puff up.


Flip it over and cook the other side completely.


Repeat for all the polis and keep covered in an airtight container lined with a paper towel. The towel absorbs the moisture and helps keep the polis hot and dry. Keep aside until needed.

To the make the chutney


Add all the ingredients and grind to a smooth paste.

To make the filling
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Boil the potatoes. Using the tines of a fork prick the potatoes all over and place them in the microwave with a cup of water. Cook for two minutes then flip them over and repeat. Continue cooking for two minutes at a time until they are tender to the touch. Wrap them in foil and keep aside for at least 15 minutes. Peel the potatoes and shred them. Shred the paneer. Add the other ingredients and mix well.


Shape into kebabs. Either long and slender or into small pieces.



I liked the smaller pieces. It was easy to assemble the Frankie using the smaller pieces. Bake for 10 minutes on one side. Flip over and bake the other side for 10 minutes.

To make the salad
Shred the cabbage and carrots. Dice the cucumber. In a mixing bowl combine the vegetables, lime juice and salt.

To put it all together
Assemble all the pieces together.


On a plate place a piece of foil or parchment. Over it place one poli/chapati. Spread the chutney on it. Put a liberal helping of salad over the top. Place the kebabs on it and roll over from both sides.


Wrap the parchment or foil over it. It helps to keep the filling inside.


Enjoy!



This is my entry for week one, day two of BM #48 for the theme Rolls and Wraps. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#48.

14 comments:

  1. Wish i get that plate of mumbai frankie rite now, love that potato-paneer filling..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pics are awesome varada! Yummy Mumbai Frankie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I am drooling here . Very well made Mumbai Frankie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautifully explained!!! love the second click.... love this entire post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mumbai frankie your way is interesting. ..the original is definitely different. .but its all about creating a better dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So yumm. Loved ur detailed pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have bought Mumbai to Texas through this post! Love the pictorials and I am so tempted to eat this right away. Also just could not take my eyes off your perfect rotis :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy Mumbai frankie, great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very tempting and delicious looking Frankie. Love the idea of making smaller filling pieces -- easier to roll and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one delicious Frankie!! very well explained

    ReplyDelete
  11. Want to sink my teeth in the franky just now !b Its beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Beautifully made with healthy ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Varada, that's one awesome post..I love how you have baked the rolls inside, very nice..will surely have to make your version..:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.