Saturday, April 4, 2015

Whole Wheat Eggless Hot Cross Buns

This is my second attempt at making hot cross buns. The first time I made them I had not really mastered the art of shaping and so the buns flattened out. It may also have been the new starter that I used to make the dough. This time I decided to make them using whole wheat. The color is a little darker but they are a lot healthier. I made a very small batch of just four. I used the same basic recipe as before, just tweaked it to be used with commercial yeast and whole wheat instead of sourdough levain and all purpose flour.


This made my classification of a fun bake as I found the addition of the flour over the top a little unusual. Hot cross buns are typically baked during the early spring months.

You will need (for 12)
For the dough
2 oz. butter
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp. flax seeds ground + 3 tbsp. water
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tsp. ginger powder
1 tsp. flower anise powder
1/2 cup raisins

For the pattern on the bun
1/4 cup white flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp melted butter
water

Combine all the ingredients except the raisins and form a soft dough. Knead well for 10 minutes. Keep aside for 15 minutes. Transfer the dough to a floured working surface. Fold in the raisins into the flour. Transfer back to a clean bowl and keep aside for an hour or until the dough nearly doubles in volume.

Using a pastry blender cut the dough into 75gm portions. Shape each portion into a tight ball and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Keep aside to proof for another hour.


Towards the end of the proofing process preheat the oven to 400 F.  Create a paste using the ingredients for the pattern on the bun. Use only as much water as is needed. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe the pattern on the buns.

Bake for 25 minutes or until done. The buns should sound hollow when tapped. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before storing.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome buns I like to enjoy whole wheat breads but some how I dont like them when I bake:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even I have tried piping those lines in the buns. Your buns look so nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. delicious bake!! looks so perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Varada ! those look perfect !! am trying to bake these for a potluck... and would halve the recipe. Can i replace butter with oil ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalyani, you will have to try it and find out. The bread I frequently bake has no added fat. When I make specialized bread, like this one, I use butter, so I am not sure about the substitution.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.