Spinach and Cannelloni Bean Quesadilla

I have made these quesadilla for more than a decade now. They were a great weekday dinner when my daughter was little and my husband was traveling. It is one of my favorites. It is filled with nutritious ingredients and is also very filling. But most of all it tastes amazing.


When I first posted this recipe my husband had tasted this quesadilla for the first time. He was not sure he wanted to try it. Cannelloni beans are not his favorite. After tasting it he was surprised how much he liked them. If your family likes the taste of vegetables then try this recipe.


Today my daughter wanted Quesadilla for dinner so I made one of my favorite's. This quesadilla is healthy, filling and rich in protein. And it tastes great!

I updated this recipe with new pictures on January 26th 2019.

You will need
6 prepared poli or phulka for the base (recipe here, you can use store bought if you like)

For the filling
1/2 onion, chopped
2 heaping cups of shredded spinach ( I mix in some Arugula for taste)
1 15oz. can cannellini beans (I use Whole foods)
3 tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
olive oil
salt to taste

Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil on a pan and add the chopped onions. Saute on a medium heat stirring occasionally until they begin to change color. Wash and clean the spinach (or other greens if using). Break of the stems and discard. Chop the leaves in small strips. When the onions are cooked add the spinach to it. Let the spinach cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes.


Wash and drain the cannellini beans. Add then to the pan.


Mash them with a potato masher. Add salt to taste and turn off the heat.


Mix in the feta cheese, divide into 3 portions and keep the mixture aside until needed.

Heat a flat griddle and place one poli/tortilla on it. When one side is heated through flip it over and let the other side heat. Take it off heat and place it on a plate. Place another poli/tortilla on the griddle and repeat. While the second tortilla heats place one portion of the mixture on the first tortilla. Spread it evenly all the way to the edges.


Place the second heated tortilla over the first to form a quesadilla. Place both with the mixture in the middle back on the griddle. The tortilla should crisp up, about 5 seconds. Flip it over and let it heat another 5 seconds. Take it off the stove and cut it into quarters to serve hot. Repeat with the remaining tortilla and mixture.




Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I love the combo that you have used for the quesadillas , it’s very unique . The mashed beans and feta will take care of slight bitterness of spinach , absolutely fantastic recipe , bookmarking to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic recipe Varada, nice reading old posts that bring back wonderful memoreis...these quesadilla look so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Filling sounds yum and never used feta for quesadilla. Should try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quesadilla looks so delicious. Good one

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s easy to make, healthy and flavorful. All check marks ticked for a lunch box recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son loves quesadillas and I keep trying new recipes but your recipe with cannelini beans is new to me. I will try this for him - I'm sure he'll like them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the filling of beans with spinach and feta!! this one is good wholsome and filling food for all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These quesdillas look so yumm and filling. Good thing of redoing the old posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually use pinto or kidney beans. Love the use of spinach here. I have never used feta cheese before. I am sure my family will love these quesadillas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This beans and spinach quesadilla looks amazing Varada. If the bread and beans are cooked and ready, this makes an easy breezy meal to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mashed beans and spinach is a different and a healthy combination. Filling and healthy quesadillas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.