Breakfast Banana Bundt Cake #BundtBakers

Presenting a very simple banana bundt cake.


Mother's day in our house always makes me feel happy. I usually get a beautiful hand made card (the summer scrap booking class all those years ago is still paying off). I also get a bouquet of some very unique tulips made just for me (that would be the balloon shaping class). All this is presented at breakfast.


This is my second month baking with the bundt bakers. Last month I forgot to add baking soda to the batter. This month I made a mistake that was way worse. It almost ruined the cake. While I was running a spatula down the sides to loosen the cake I completely forgot about the center. I turned the cake over and the center stayed put. What did fall out on the plate was threatening to fall to pieces.


I was sure I was going to have to bake another cake for this post. Having nothing to lose I decided to try to salvage the cake. I quickly placed the bundt pan back on the fallen cake and turned it over to put the cake back in the pan. The cake was still pretty hot. I let it sit in the pan for about 20 minutes.


Then I ran my spatula around the hole in the middle and turned it out on a plate again. The cake came out in decent shape, only two pieces. The original plan was to dust the top with sugar but this cake needed something more. I searched for and found a completely opaque glaze to cover the not so pretty top. As you can tell from the pictures the cake has been in distress but it tasted so good it was all gone at breakfast the next morning. And in the process I found a recipe for a really tasty cream cheese glaze.

I sincerely hope I have an uneventful baking day next month when I bake the next bundt baker cake.

Recipe adapted from here and the glaze adapted from here.

You will need
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
2 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (I used fat free yogurt)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda

For the cream cheese glaze
2 ounces cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat variety)
Couple drops vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar (I powdered a little less than half a cup of regular sugar)
1 tbsp. milk

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour a 6-inch bundt pan. In a mixing bowl beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until the well combined and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and the egg and beat well. Mash the bananas and fold them into the bowl. Next fold in the sour cream or yogurt. Sift the flour and baking soda. Add it to the wet ingredients in the bowl. Mix well and transfer the batter to the pan. Smooth the top and bake for 55-60 minutes.


Allow the cake to cool for 10-20 minutes. Run a spatula around the edges as well as the hole in the center. Place a plate over the top of the pan and flip it over to transfer the cake on to the plate. Allow the cake to cool completely. In a separate bowl, mix the ingredients for the glaze and pour it over the top of the cooled cake.


Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Glad you were able to salvage the cake. And I would love to have a slice of this one for breakfast. Move over banana bread, it's time for cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't have been able to tell that you had any damage to your cake, it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a scrumptious cake, perfect for breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is every baker's nightmare what you went through un-moulding the cake! But if you hadn't mentioned I would never have guessed that it almost fell apart! The glaze looks beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't bake cakes much either, which is why I joined this group! Removing the cake from the pan is always my least favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With my bundts it's fifty/fifty whether they come out! Maybe the 3rd times a charm!!! Next month. But looking good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for not giving up--I would never have known anything was wrong with it! And my last bundt cake (after the one i did for this event) was a total disaster and became a trifle so I sympathize!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Banana Cake is definitely one of my go-to flavors. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love banana cakes for breakfast! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, a cream cheese glaze covers a multitude of problems, Varada, and tastes wonderful besides! The important thing is always the taste! Thanks for baking with us this month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hold my breath each time I try to remove cake from a pan. And I hold my breath and say several prayers when it's a Bundt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Frosting fixes everything :) I definitely would not have guessed that you had any problems with this cake at all. and I would certainly be very happy if it was my breakfast in the monring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.