Flammkuchen (German Pizza)

There is a very interesting story associated with this pizza like flat bread. It was once used to gauge the temperature of the oven before the precious breads were baked. The crust on this bread is very thin and cooks up quickly. It is best eaten hot out of the oven. The hot cream with the mushrooms and thin crunchy crust make a divine combination.


The morning I made this meal I bought fresh creme fraiche but then forgot all about it when it was time to cook. Instead I used a combination of sour cream and fresh cream on the flammkutchen. Not being preoccupied is something I am constantly working on without much success. :)

Recipe adapted from here
You will need
For the dough
125 gm flour
75 gm whole wheat flour
10 gm active dry yeast
125 ml warm water
a pinch sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. oil

For the topping
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tbsp. cream
1 clove garlic
1/2 onion
20 shitake mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste

Combine the dry ingredients for the dough. Mix in the wet ingredients and form a soft dough. Knead well until elastic, cover and keep aside for 30 minutes. In the meantime, combine the cream, sour cream and salt. Mince the garlic, slice the onion, clean and slice the mushroom.

Preheat oven to 475 F. Heat a baking pan in the oven. Divide the dough into four portions. Roll out each portion on a floured board until very thin.


On it spread the cream mixture, the garlic and then the onion and mushrooms. Repeat for the other portion. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until edges begin to brown.


Enjoy it hot out of the oven.

Comments

  1. Sounds very interesting Varada..never used cream mix for a sauce like this...should try it sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple yet flavorful pizza. Being a mushroom addictive,my husband will definitely love it.Bookamarked

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgetting the ingredients we have on hand happens with me. The other day I made my K meal and forgot to add one of the ingredients I bought specially for that dish. I made that dish again on Saturday on request from hubby and he also remind me to add that ingredient I forgot the last time. I kept reminding myself that I need to add it this time but at the end, forgot that ingredient again.

    Mushrooms and cream topping on the German pizza looks very nice. Specially mushrooms. Nice pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of cteam mixture and garlic. But I am not a fan of mushrooms so probably would think of a substitute. ..I like the thin crusts they are like comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very interesting pizza. Since I'm the only one eating mushrooms in the house, I might have to make this for myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love mushrooms and this pizza looks so tempting. My kids will love this bake for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  7. seems like every culture has some kind of flatbread

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bookmarked this pizza for my G and then forgot to buy creme fraiche and the local grocery didn't understand what it is when i tried ordering it. Flammkuchen looks simple and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks so beautifully delicious. I like the way you have put it" not being preoccupied is something I am constantly working on ..." I will love to use that too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.