Golabjamoun (Zambian Sweet Potato Dessert)

Golabjamoun is known to me as a delicious dessert made with milk, flour and sugar. I was very surprised to find a very different recipe called by the same name. These golabjamoun are similar in appearance to the ones I know in that they are round, sweet and deep fried. The similarity ends there.


I found these when I made a Zambian meal. They are made with sweet potato boiled in milk with sugar, formed into a dough and then deep fried. If you have read my blog then you probably know I don't deep fry anything. Instead I used my trusty aebleskiver or appe pan to cook them. They were crispy on the outside and soft on the side.


If you are fond of dessert that is not too sweet then you will like this recipe.

You will need
2 sweet potatoes
1 cup milk
2 tbsp. sugar (adjust according to the sweetness of the sweet potato)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
oil for the pan

Wash and peel the sweet potato. Cut it into 1 inch cubes. Put it in a pan with the milk and sugar and bring it to a boil.


Lower the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are cooked and the milk is incorporated. Mash the sweet potato as it cooks. You will have a thick paste.


Mix the flour in the paste to form dough. Heat the aebleskiver or appe pan and add a couple drops of oil into each of the holes. Turn down heat to medium and drop a spoonful of batter in each of the holes.


Give it a few minutes to cook then turn it over. Once it is brown on all sides it is done.


Golabjamoun is ready.


They taste best when hot but can be reheated.

Comments

  1. This is an interesting sweet preparation. Nice dessert to finish off the Zambian meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting recipe ..I like the idea of gulbjamuns with sweet potato. .so much more healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these are so nice really!..and what a healthy way to cook them..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting sweet potato appe. They must have tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this too!But deep fried them. WE loved it. I wonder why I never thought of making them your way!! They look so tempting....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What type of oil or fat do you use to deep fry them?

      Delete
    2. They are not deep fried. I cooked them in the pan shown in the post. I used olive oil as the temperature does not get too high. If you plan to deep fry then I would suggest vegetable oil.

      Delete
  6. Interesting Zambian version of golab jamoun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - I want to try these so bad. I have a mini appe pan Vaishali had brought me from India and I have some sweet potatoes there. I can't wait to try these

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.