Gulerodsbrud (Carrot Rolls)

Carrots rolls with the crunch of sunflower seeds is a unique and very different bun. That is the reason I have wanted to try it. What I found most interesting was the method, the way the bun was put together. Usually you go out of your way to shape the bun such that there is no crack or seam visible. The smoother the top the better it is. These are a whole different story. First you mix the dough and let it rise. Then you add the shredded carrots and sunflower seeds over the top and cut into the dough until everything is sorta mixed in. Break away bun sizes pieces and you are done.


The original recipe calls for sugar but no balancing savory ingredients. I added paprika and some cumin powder to correct this imbalance and appease our taste buds. Feel free to skip them if you prefer a sweeter carrot bun. I could have also added dill or some other herb to enhance the flavor but it tasted great without the herbs.


I halved this recipe but I have not halved the ingredients here as it calls for one egg and I did not want to write up a recipe with half an egg. :)

Recipe adapted from here
You will need
For the dough
25 gm instant yeast
250 ml warm water
250 gm all-purpose flour
250 gm whole wheat flour
30 gm sugar
7 gm sea salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin powder
2 tbsp. dill (optional)
35 gm butter, room temperature

For the mix ins
1 egg
75 gm sunflower seeds
2 carrots, peeled and grated

Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Sift in the flours and add all the dry ingredients. Form a dough and knead until elastic and smooth. Keep aside for an hour or two until it doubles in volume. In the meantime peel and shred the carrots. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. When the dough is doubled punch a hole in the middle to form a well. Break an egg into it and add the sunflower seeds and carrots.


Using a pastry cutter cut the dough to mix in the new additions. This is a messy gooey process so you might as well enjoy it.


Once everything is mixed in divide the dough in bun sides portions and place them on the prepared sheet.


Let them rise for about half an hour. In the meantime preheat oven to 400 F. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack.


Taste best fresh out of the oven.

Comments

  1. Oh very interesting one Varada, trust you to get us such delicious ones..so you add halve an egg?..I guess we can skip it right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These buns are really interesting. Reading the post I thought I would bake these buns. As soon as I saw 1 egg, the though of baking these buns gradually disappeared from my mind. It becomes really tricky scaling down a recipe that calls for odd number of eggs, specially 1 egg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you can skip the egg. I had another recipe I made the same day that I was going to half and called for 1 egg. I just whisked one egg and divided it into two for the two recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These rustic looking breads must really have an interesting texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such an interesting carrot bun recipe. They look very rustic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The buns look so good Varada. I am planning to make this without the egg..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrot rolls looks interesting , would try them !

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an interesting recipe varada, sunflower seeds must add a nice crunch to the buns, will try it without the egg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a healthy recipe.looks great with lovely ingredients and doable now that you say we can skip the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is interesting I love it ! It will be great for my kids tiffin. Bookmarking it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.