Æbleskiver

Æbleskiver is the classic Danish dessert made in an Æbleskiver pan. The recipe is simple and with practice you can learn to make the perfectly round Æbleskiver.


Sprinkled with sugar these pancake like dessert balls make a delightful dessert. As the name suggests these dessert balls were stuffed with pieces of apple. Today the name remains but they are not always filled with apple. I used pieces of gala apple softened in a little butter.


You can serve aebleskiver for breakfast too but I made it for dessert as it is made in Denmark during the holiday season.

Recipe adapted from here
You will need
egg white from 1 egg
1 cup flour
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tsp. baking powder
a pinch baking soda
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
salt to taste

1/2 gala apple, peeled, cored, cut into cubes.
Butter for the pan

Heat a little butter in a saucepan and add the apple cubes. Cook until softened. Turn off heat and let the cubes cool.

In a mixing bowl sift the flour. Combine it with sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, melted butter and buttermilk. Add salt to taste. In a separate bowl beat the egg white until white peaks form. Fold it into the batter.



Heat an Æbleskiver pan on medium heat. Add a little butter to each of the holes in the pan and drop a spoonful of batter in. When the batter starts to bubble add a couple pieces of softened apple.


Using a skewer or a knitting needle turn them over in half turns until they are cooked all round to a beautiful golden crust. 


Keep turning them around to prevent burning until cooked through. The skewer pricked in the center should come out clean. Sprinkle sugar just before serving.


Your dessert is ready.

This is my entry for week 36 of the 2014 52 week challenge for the theme apples.

Comments

  1. So yummy!..I once made cake in this pan and it came out so well..other than that have always used it for savory dishes..I also wanted to do this dish, somehow the other was even more interesting..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bookmarking the recipe. Looking at all of your ebleskiver, wondering how I missed this recipe? I have the ebleskiver pan too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a paniyaram/ appe pan, will try this recipe soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wondering if you bought this from Amazon. I have looked at them on Amazon but always too confused which one to get

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dessert is mind blowing, love that sugary affect, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. I was thinking of using apples after I saw it at Manju's place and was wondering if that was do able? Thanks I got my answer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.