Baked Gulab Jamoon / Jamun

Several years ago Gulab Jamoons used to be my go to dessert. My sister-in-law had shared this recipe with me and it was fool proof. However, the gulab jamoons were deep fried. When I stopped deep frying foods I stopped making them. I have not made them for a very long time. Lately, I have been trying to come up with baked versions of a lot of deep fried recipes. This is my latest converted recipe.


Gulab Jamoon is one of the few desserts that my daughter loves. I remember once I had to make 110 gulab jamoon for a dinner party. My daughter was just 5-6 years old then. I heated up a large kadai/wok so I could get it done quickly. I made the first batch of 10 and put them on a kitchen paper towel. My daughter asked if she could taste it and I told her she could have two. I turned around to make the next batch of 10. By the time the second batch was done the first one had disappeared. All 10 gone! Even today she prefers to have them dry before they are added to the sugar syrup. And she will not eat them unless they are made by me. Now I have a healthier version that I can make for her. She gave this recipe two thumbs up.


Last week I made my first attempt at baked jamoons. They turned out hard and unedible. In hindsight I realized the dough needed more liquid, the baking temperature should have been lower and they were baked longer than needed. Two days ago I fixed all those problems and got the perfect jamoons. To ensure that I didn't just get lucky I tried it again yesterday with identical successful results. I ran my trials on a small quantity. You can increase the amount by doubling the recipe.

You will need (for 6-7 jamoons)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup dry milk powder
a pinch baking powder
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

For the syrup
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 325 F. Combine the ingredients for the syrup in a pan and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat all the way and simmer.

Combine the first three ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the whipping cream and form a very soft dough. Divide the dough into 6-7 marble sized portions. Roll each portion on the palm of your hand to form a ball. Place the prepared jamoon on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Repeat with all the portions.


Bake in the preheated oven at 325 F for 6-7 minutes or until the top is dry and the under side is just beginning to brown. You should be able to pick up the jamoon without altering its shape.

Switch the oven to broil. Remove the parchment paper from under the jamoons. DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE PAPER. Broil for 1-2 minutes watching the jamoon like a hawk. They should turn a deep golden brown. Turn them over and broil for half a minute. Take them out of the oven and let them cool for a couple of minutes. The size of the baked jamoon should be considerably larger than the size you started with.


Place the jamoons in the syrup and let them simmer for a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat. Allow the jamoons to soak for about half an hour at the minimum before eating. You can refrigerate the jamoons and they will keep for a couple of days. Heat leftovers in the microwave for about 15 seconds before serving.




Enjoy!




This is my entry for week two, day one of BM #47 for the theme Indian Desserts. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#47.



Comments

  1. So these are those yummy baked jamoons! Glad to know the 2nd trial worked. Bookmarking the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... baked jamoons are really a good idea :)

    Inviting you to participate in my event: http://easyandsimplefoods.blogspot.com/2014/11/first-blog-anniversary-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good. and just cant believe that its baked. looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy healthy version Varada ! My daughter tooloves GJs as she calls this sweet :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. On what temperature should we bake them after preheating the oven at 375°?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dhara preheat to 325 F and bake at the same temperature - 325 F. Broil on either the Hi or Low setting.

      Delete
  6. Great Idea Varada and Now I have extra one with your baked version..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ! What a yummy treat!looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried the same long back for a zero oil theme, jamoons looks succulent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was waiting for your baked jamoon recipe and I'm bookmarking it. My husband would probably prefer the deep fried kind, but I want to give these a try just for myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must try these healthy jamuns, book marking them Varada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow such an guilt free version of gulan jamun :) they look perfect and must be delicious even :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought I left a comment in this Varada..anyway these baked jamuns look so stunning and a great idea...I wanted to do it as well..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to try to make this! The texture is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tried ur recipe, but the balls did not turn brown on all the sides after baking n boiling steps, just the base got brown. Please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shikha did you broil them? Broiling caramelizes the top turning it golden brown. When the bottom is just beginning to brown broil them.

      Delete
    2. I did broil them.. exactly as you mentioned above.
      Moreover, the balls came out to be very hard.
      :(

      Delete
    3. Shikha, did you place them in the top rack when you broiled them? They will turn hard if they are over baked. Reduce baking times as all ovens are a little different.

      Delete
  15. yes, i did place them on the top rack while broiling..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I can say is you have to check your oven to ensure the broiler is working. Anything broiled on the top rack of the oven should brown.

      Delete
  16. so amazing that you were able to create a healthier version by baking of my favorite Indian sweet

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Varada,
    Tried this recipe and came out great. Have a couple of questions:
    what kind of milk powder do you use?
    Do you have a recipe gulab jamun that can be made with paneer, but the baked version.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Varada,
    Thank you for sharing this recipe. It came out great.Have couple of question:
    What kind milk powder did you use?
    Can this be made with fresh paneer, what alteration would be needed.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing idea.vl try next week..loves This version

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.