Paneer Tomato Masala

Paneer is one of my daughter's favorites. To celebrate her return home for the summer I made paneer in masala/gravy, a simple recipe thrown together with whatever is available on the given day. That said, there is really no recipe. The basic idea is to marinate the paneer in the masala/gravy. The ingredients for the gravy I tweak based on the ingredients in the house. If I have cashews, I add some cashew paste. Today I had yogurt I needed to use up and so I mixed that in. The ingredients I use are close to those used in the classic versions but the method is nowhere close. Besides those recipes are usually spicy and unnecessarily rich. This probably works for special occasions but they are too heavy for everyday consumption in my house.


I served the paneer with some poli/chapati. My daughter enjoyed this meal thoroughly. While I was cooking I realized I have all kinds of paneer dishes on this space but for some reason I never posted paneer in gravy. So today I am posting the version I made when my daughter came home for summer.


You will Need (for 6 servings)
7 oz. paneer
1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced finely
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. paprika (adjust to taste)
1 tsp. turmeric
3 large tomatoes, diced
3/4 cup yogurt, whisked

Cut the paneer into slabs and keep aside. Heat half the oil in a pan. Place the slabs of paneer in a single layer until partially cooked. Do not brown. Flip them over and cook the other side. Take them out of the pan and drain on a paper towel.

Add the remaining oil to the same pan and cook the onions on medium low heat. While the onions cook, cut the paneer into bite size pieces and keep aside. When the onions turn translucent add the garlic, garam masala, paprika and turmeric. Saute for a few seconds. The aroma will rise from the pan. Add the tomatoes and let the masala cook. When the tomatoes are mushy add the whisked yogurt and salt to taste. Simmer but do not let it come to a boil. Add the paneer and let it cook together for a few minutes. Turn off the heat.


Enjoy!













This is my entry for week one, day one of BM #65 for the theme Summer dishes. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#65.

Comments

  1. It's always special when kids come home in their breaks n we mother's pamper them with our love n culinary art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah my kids will love this Varada...any type of paneer gravy is their fav!..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this paneer gravy.. no onions naa. wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paneer is my kids fav too.,love the way you cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a nice gravy Varada and you must have been so happy and satisfied to see your daughter enjoy the meal...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vibha loves paneer too and I did cook some paneer reicpes when she came down. This looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this paneer dish especially the fact that I dont need special ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing can beat this irresistible masala, we are die hard fans of paneer masala, inviting dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All kids love paneer..nice way to welcome the kids back home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like the perfect side dish for rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a wonderful dish Varada. Would completely love the Paneer Tomato Masala with Naan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a delicious and simple to make paneer gravy. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paneer in any gravy is always a delight to have. This one sounds just as flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We all love paneer and love the creamy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paneer in such a creamy sauce is yum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.