Spicy Green Bell Pepper Side

As soon as I saw this recipe I knew I was going to try it. It was one of those that use a special spice powder and all the ingredients in the powder screamed - delicious. So here is my version of a spicy green bell pepper side.


I found this recipe on Pavani's blog. I stayed fairly true to the recipe except I cut down on the number of dried red chili peppers. 

You will need
For the spice powder
1 tbsp. channa dal
1/2 tbsp. urad dal
1 tbsp. coriander seeds
1 dry red chili pepper
1 tsp. tamarind paste
salt to taste

2 medium preferably, thin skinned green bell peppers
All of the spice powder above
2 tbsp yogurt, sour
1 tbsp oil, I used olive oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
3-4 curry leaves (I did not use any)
salt to taste

Roast the first four ingredients for the spice powder until they start to turn color. Turn off heat and allow to cool. Add the remaining ingredients and grind to a powder. Keep aside until needed.


Rinse and dice the green bell pepper. In a bowl add the yogurt and the diced bell pepper. Keep aside for 10 minutes.


Heat a pan with the oil. Add the mustard seeds. When they crackle add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves. Add the yogurt and bell pepper mixture and salt. Add a tablespoon of water. Cook covered until the bell pepper is cooked through, but not mushy. Add the spice powder. Cover, and cook on low heat for a couple of minutes.


Turn off the heat.



Enjoy!


Comments

  1. Peppers is my go-to vegetable for the lunch box. Amazing recipe you got there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capsicum is my husband's favorite. So I'm going to give him treat with this delicious version of capsicum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention Varada :-) Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sure is a lovely recipe...looks delicious and a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious spicy green bellpepper, makes an excellent side for both rice and rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good way to use the peppers..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never tried this version of bell pepper; mixing peppers with yogurt and then stir frying. Bookmarking the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.