Millet, Chickpea and Oats Dhirdi

Dhirdi or crepes are an easy alternative to flatbread. I usually make them once a week with different flours. Today I am posting the millet, chickpea and oats dhirdi. I made this for an easy light dinner after a long work day. One cup of flour is enough for two people. Increase the amount of flour if you want to make more servings. Usually we eat these with some dal or vegetable side. Sometimes we eat it with chutney. I had some red pepper hummus I wanted to finish so we had that instead.


This millet, chickpea and oats dhirdi is a nutritious and simple recipe made with mixed flours. I usually buy millet, buckwheat and oats in bulk bins at Whole Foods. I grind it to a flour in my Vitamix dry grinder. The flour can be stored for several weeks, longer in winter. Addition of chickpea flour makes the dhirdi very flavorful. There is no oil or soda in this recipe.

You will need (for ~6  crepes or 2 servings)
1 cup flour (I used combination of millets, buckwheat, chickpea and oats)
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ova/ajwain/carom seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 strands finely diced cilantro (optional)

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Add a half cup water and whisk. Keep aside to rest for about half an hour.

Heat a pan on medium heat. Check the consistency of the batter. You should be able to pour it with a ladle but it should not be too runny.

Add a ladle of the prepared batter to the heated pan. Cover with a lid and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Uncover and flip it over. Cook the second side uncovered. Take it off the heat and repeat for the remaining dhirdi.


Enjoy with chutney or hummus!

Comments

  1. I love such mixed flour crepes, so easy and delicious for dinners and quick fixes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like the instant dosa I make. With millets, oats and chickpea flour, this one is quite nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We normally make with ChickPea flour (Besan) but you have created an interesting recipe by making it multi grain. Also, as this is oil free, will definitely try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like instant recipes and your instant dosa looks healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is definitely an interesting combination of flours for the instant dosa. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to make such mix flour pancakes , the reason as you said they are an easy option to flat breads. This millet,chickpea and oats dhirdi looks soft and yum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.