Simple Vegan Breakfast Oatmeal with the Works

Breakfast is usually a busy time of the day in most homes and my house is no exception. Fixing lunch, getting ready for work, feeding the cats and taking them for a stroll in the garden are some of the things that have to get done. When everything is done, I like to sit down with the family for breakfast. Oatmeal is my go to breakfast. It is the easiest breakfast to put together with a variety of ways to cook it.


Last year I posted my favorite oatmeal recipe. That was before I cut dairy out of my diet. Today I am posting my current favorite vegan oatmeal recipe. I had toyed with using water instead of milk for a long time but I have a problem with mushy texture so I was not sure it would work for me. If you do not like mushy food try this recipe.


Have fun with the toppings. Anything that enhances the flavor works. Here is are some ideas of what I like and use frequently.

You will need
1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 scant tsp. chia seeds
1 tsp. ground flax seeds (I buy them whole and grind enough for a week)
1 tsp. unsweetened dried coconut
1 tsp. brown sugar or maple syrup
1 banana (optional)
1 tbsp raisins (optional)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon powder (optional)

Assemble all the ingredients. I have everything in a drawer for quick access in the morning.


Put the oatmeal in a microwave safe bowl with 1/4 cup of water. Cook it for 1 minute. This is the consistency I like. Cook with more or less water as per your taste. Adjust time if needed. Remember all microwave ovens are different. Start with 30 secs and go from there until you find the time that works for you.


Add all the toppings. Chop the fruit and add that to the bowl. Your bowl of oatmeal is ready. I like to eat it as soon as it is done. I do not like mushy texture. I add a little water if I am unable to eat it as soon as it is done.




Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I take the bowl of cereal with milk for granted, it just struck me the lifestyle change one has to adopt if going dairy free. For oatmeal, I wouldn’t have any problems, because I make it with water often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast with the family is the best. That is such a simple and nutritious dish. Love this vegan version

    ReplyDelete
  3. oatmeal use to be my go to breakfast until last year. Since I started using steel cut oats, I became lazy. Instant or rolled oats are quick to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not tried making oatmeal with water and would love to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like oats in upma and such recipes but never like it mushy. I like your idea of cooking it for just a minute to retain texture. Love the topping that go on it. A complete nutritious breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds very easy to assemble for breakfast, good share Varada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can eat oatmeal any which way, but my picky husband doesn't like mushy texture. I will try your recipe for him. I love the topping ideas as will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This oatmeal version sounds delicious even without the milk. The various versions of add-ons to oatmeal makes it an interesting breakfast option.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy and nutritious breakfast recipe. So quick to make in busy morning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.