Pesarattu (Mung Dosa / Moong Dosa)

This is the first day of a new challenge. Today I am posting a recipe from Andhra Pradesh. Everyday this month I will post a recipe from a different state in India. By the end of this month I will have featured on my blog 30 recipes from 30 different states.


I have never visited Andhra Pradesh but have always had a lot of friends from there. At one point when I was working in Bangalore I wanted to visit Hyderabad just to see their famous chudi (bangles) bazaar. I have not made it there yet. Maybe someday.

To kick off to this challenge I wanted to make a signature Andhra dish. I looked through my wish list of 'recipes to try or repeat' and found pesarattu. A few months ago my sister visited a cousin and mentioned the delicious Pesarattu breakfast prepared by our sister-in-law. That had got me thinking about making Pesarattu and I had added it to my long list of 'recipes to try or repeat'.

Every part of the world has some form of a crepe. In India they are called dhirdi, chila or dosa depending upon where you are from. These crepes are made with every conceivable grain and pulse that can be soaked, ground to a batter and spread on a pan. The grains that cannot be used in crepes by themselves are mixed with others that can. Rice flour is added to make the crepes light.

Pesarattu is a crepe made with mung and usually eaten for breakfast in Andhra Pradesh. While it can be eaten on its own, it is also paired with upama.



While mung is usually soaked in water for 6-7 hours before it is ready to be ground, I had to soak it for about 20. The 32 F overnight temperature and the fact that I left it on the wide ledge by the kitchen window may have had something to do with it. Needless to say no one got pesarattu for breakfast. They had to eat it for dinner.

My husband who grew up in North India likes to eat it with yogurt. My father would have liked to eat it with cheese. In his view yogurt and cheese are interchangeable as both are dairy. When he is visiting my daughter reaches for the cheese too. I served it with dal as we had it for dinner.

You will need
For the batter
1 cup mung soaked overnight
2 tbsp. rice flour
1/2 ginger garlic paste
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. red chili powder
salt to taste

4 tbsp. onion, chopped

Grind the soaked mung to a paste. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Thin out the batter if needed. If should be a little thicker than pouring consistency.


Heat a griddle pan. Add a few drops of oil and spread it around with a spatula. Place a ladle of batter in the center of the pan and using a circular motion in ever increasing circles form a large circular disc. Sprinkle a little onion and cover to cook.


When the bottom turns brownish in color, flip it over. Cook the other side. Flip it over again. Fold the edges in to form a triangle.


Turn over and serve.

Note:
Wipe the pan clean with a moist paper towel before pouring batter on it.
After every two or three pesarattu's srpinkle some oil on the pan.


Comments

  1. Lovely pessarattu Varada ad the block design looks so pretty!..hope you will visit the place sometime..:)..looking forward to your month long marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice Varadha and the kalamkari art looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crispy pesarattu looks delish and thanks for the nice tip on how to make a triangular dosa - my daughter has been asking for that shape as hotels serve it , will try it next time I make dosa !

    Look forward to ur series

    ReplyDelete
  4. same pinch Varada. I made pesarattu too. The pesarattu look yummy. You do Kalamkari.. multi talented you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this one of my most fav breakfast pesarattu :) they looks very delicious and a healthy dosa from andhra :) love the presentation you have done dear :) lovely kalamkari art !! great start and looking forward to see your other states !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that peacock(hope i m right) varada!!! I like pesarattu a lot and it is made often at my place. Ginger chutney and pesarattu, yum combo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pessaratu looks really good. It takes me back to BM 25 meet when Padma demonstrated these . really delicious.
    And you seem to be very talented with your art . lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the famous dishes of andhra. Looks so inviting & tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great preparation! Love the kalamkari art. You have a great flair for it! And yup pesarattu is usually paired with Upma in restaurants but it is not practical at our place :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those healthy & delicious pesarattus. Kalamkari art looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love pesarettu... and the kalamkari art is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a delightful post, very well written. your recipe for pesarattu is slightly different from what i know, but i want to try this and think this is going to be lot more flavorful...looking forward to other posts

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dosa looks so delicious and came out very well. Looking forward to more 29 states ....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pesarattu looks great, but the kalamkari work looks so really beautiful. Didnt know it had an Andhra background.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Same pinch Varada! I love the way how you folded the pesarattu...will try that next time I make it. Looking forward to your rest of the posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Healthy and delicious pesarattu,love the way you folded it..

    ReplyDelete
  17. this seems to be the popular recipe of the day. Love the way you folded yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wat a beautiful Kalamkari work, looks amazing.. Love the way you folded ur pesarattu, one of tradiitonal Andhra dish, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohh yummy pesarattu varadha! I prepare pesarattu for breakfast as my kids love it..urs looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice presentation dear!! I never used chilli powder in my pesarattu. Will try next time..Love this authentic recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pesarattu & upma is a good combination but we usually have it with butter. You should try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious Pesarattu. The kalamkari design looks very good Varada...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a filling breakfast and perfect for the weekend. Love your art by the way!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.