Mango Lassi

Today I am posting a recipe from Delhi, the national capital of India. Everyday this month I will post a recipe from a different state in India.


Delhi is one of the largest cities in the world. It is not one of the oldest cities but has been in existence for a few hundred years. For most of those years Delhi has enjoyed a status of prominence as a capital. A few years back Delhi was awarded statehood.

On our last trip to Delhi we were walking through the neighborhood market when we noticed these people on the sidewalk with mehendi cones. Apparently it was a local festival the day after and they were offering to paint one of the oldest art forms known to us - mehendi (henna). It is amazing how intricate designs are painted in under 5 minutes. The picture shows my daughter getting her hand painted and the final result.


Before I move on to the recipe for the day I have to go back to my visit to Delhi on our first trip back to India. My husband took me to a few of his favorite college day eateries. One of them was a burger joint near his IIT campus. Another was chaat in Karol Bagh. We ordered chat and then he ordered lassi. Now I was not a lassi kind of girl. Give me a shake any day but I did not care for lassi. The place was very crowded and everything had to be ordered so quickly, before I could say anything he had placed the order. It didn't help that a couple came and stood by our table to lay their claim to it.

So now there was a tall glass of white fluffy liquid on the table and a very excited husband watching me from across the table. I reluctantly picked up the glass of lassi and started sipping it. I never knew when I hit bottom. It was so good! Since then I never shy away from lassi, especially not in Delhi. And when it was time to look up a recipe for Delhi I could not think of anything better than lassi. Since it is mango season I decided to make mango lassi.

You will need
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 cup mango pulp
1/4 cup milk

Mix all the ingredients together and blend for a minute or two.


You could add ice while blending if you like it really cold or if you are having it in summer.


Serve chilled.

Comments

  1. Love this refreshing and tasty lassi anytime !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty and yummy mango lassi....... Looks inviting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a refreshing drink for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely refreshing drink.. Perfect for summer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prefect drink to enjoy anytime, always love mango lassi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love mango lassi too.. nothing like it

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son loves mango lassi. That glass looks inviting. Love your daughter's Mehendi click.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so refeshing and comforting..My all time favorite..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an all time fav at home! The kids and adults love this alike!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That glass of lassi looks cool and refreshing..and nothing to beat Delhi...love that henna click.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is too hot here and seeing your mango lassi I am drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  12. so refreshing and delicious... can finish that lassi in one gulp... yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a lassi lassie too give me chaas anytime I will be glad to hit the bottom but your glass makes me rethink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This can never go wrong..and my most favorite!..love those mehendi designs..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learned about mango lassi only after coming to US and now this is something that I cannot live without! That glass looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous mehndi and this is my all time fave lassi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lassi looks very refreshing and the mehendi designs looks lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Refreshing drink.. I can use some in this pretty hot climate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's one yummy and refeshing treat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow such an rich and delicious lassi to enjoy makes me drool here :) such an refreshing one , love the mehandi design !!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.