Sathu Paratha

Today I am posting a recipe from Jharkhand. Every day this month I will post a recipe from a different state in India.


Bihar and Jharkhand were the same state in the India I lived in. Ranchi was a just a town in Bihar. It is now the capital of Jharkhand a state carved out of Bihar to give better representation to the tribal areas. This is a mineral rich belt and there is a constant struggle to determine operating licenses for mining. The process is made harder by the fact that land deeds are not as clear cut with the tribal population and it is easy for vested interests to swindle them out of their valid right.

A long time ago and for only a couple of years my parents lived in a very small town called Jhinkapani in this mineral rich belt. While my mother was happy to move out of the rural area; she had fond memories of the time spent there and the friends they had.

This was one of the early states I cooked for. I had started blogging in earnest only a couple months earlier. Blogging helped to get my mind off my 11 year old cat's fight with cancer. The only thing I focused on was to make it easy for anyone (including myself) to come to my blog and follow the steps exactly to reproduce the recipe. As such I ensured I had step by step pictures. However, I would love to change the main pictures on most of these early dishes. I left them as is as a reminder of where I started.

Sattu is a commonly used ingredient in Jharkhand, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh. It is a common breakfast food. It is used in sweet as well as savory preparations. It is very nutritious as it is derived mainly from yellow gram and other pulses. Yellow gram is known by different names in different states. Dala is the Marathi name. I remember snacking on it as a child. I chose this recipe after a Bihari friend assured me it was okay to make it for Jharkhand.

You will need
For the dough
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. ajwain (carom seeds)
1 tsp. salt

For the stuffing
1 cup Sattu
2 tbsp. onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 Serrano pepper, deseeded and minced
1/2 tsp. ajwain
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. olive oil

In a mixing bowl mix all the ingredients for the dough and using water knead into a soft ball. Keep aside.


In a separate bowl mix together all the ingredients for the stuffing. Sprinkle a little water and mix well to form a crumbly mixture. It should not come together at all.


Divide the dough into lemon sized balls. Flatten one of them on the palm of your hand.


Fill in some of the stuffing.


Pulling on the edges to enclose the stuffing and close the top.


Using a little wheat flour if needed roll out the paratha.


Heat a griddle pan. Put a few drops of oil on the pan and place the paratha on it. Add a a few drops of oil on the top of the paratha. When the bottom is cooked turn over and cook the second side.


Take off heat. Repeat for the rest of the dough.


Serve hot.


Comments

  1. Such a prefectly rolled sattu paratha, the stuffing is excellent and sounds looks prefect for dinner tonite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a healthy and filling paratha,you rolled the paratha so perfectly..

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely varada, this tastes so amazing , i love making and eating it both

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious and filling paratha!! and the paratha is so perfectly shaped, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really yum parathas, ..lovely filling!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The parathas have turned out perfect. Yumm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rotis have come out so well Varada and lovely to know your parents lived there...sorry abt your cat..hope you are able to manage..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Varadha sorry about your cat.... take care.
    BTW these sattu paratha are what i need to try. Wilth bai taking leave next month I better get on rolling something new. Need to get the girls and hubby focus away from the maps i manage to make. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good one. I made this for Bihar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, love those big, round parathas. Perfectly made. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How is your cat doing? Even though these are your early pictures, pictures are pretty good. Sathu paratha look delicious and perfect for breakfast. Would not mind one as I am scratching my head unable to decide what to eat for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy and nutritious paratahs. After seeing all these posts, I guess it's time for me to try these sattu parathas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is hard to be seeing the pet suffer! Take care....The parathas look really good and they are so perfectly rolled!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my all time fav sattu ka paratha looks fabulous and i wud love to finish the plate right away :) you have made them just perfect !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I m always in love with the way to click flatbreads varada!! Pucca shape and my that stuffing must have tasted yummm!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.