Sundal (Black Channa with Coconut)

Today I am posting a recipe from Tamil Nadu. Every day this month I will post a recipe from a different state in India.


When I was in third grade we used to play in the playground very close to the school cafe that provided snacks and tea to teachers during the morning break. Sundal was on the menu two or three times a week. I loved the aroma of the dish. Sundal will always take me back to that playground.


Since then I have had sundal several times as prasad during the festival of navratri and it has always been a favorite. Everyone in my house loves sundal and so I decided to make it for the state of Tamil Nadu.


Today morning my daughter had to get to school really early. I asked my husband to get the soaked channa cooked in the pressure cooker while I dropped my daughter off so I could put it all together as soon as I got back. I hurried back and got everything else ready. Luckily, I checked the channa before adding it to the pot and found it had not cooked through. Sometimes the best made plans just don't work out.

This recipe is from a friend.

You will need
1 1/2 cups black channa
1/2 cup fresh desiccated coconut
3 dried red chili peppers
2 tbsp. mustard seeds
1/4 tsp. asafoetida

Soak the channa overnight and pressure cook the next day. They should be fully cooked and soft to the touch but not mushy.


Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle add the asafoetida, the red peppers, coconut and cooked channa.


Heat through completely and turn off heat.


Serve hot.

Comments

  1. i love to snack on the variety sundals prepared during ganpati festival in our society, no matter how many prasads are offfered by each community, this one always takes a place coming from the tamil families

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite evening snack, nutritious sundal, i can have happily anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  3. we call this as channe ki chaat..with a little variation..but this is a good version and different from NI ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very healthy and delicious.. perfect for evenings!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you can bring them on..I simply love this..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. Its healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very healthy snack which reminds me that I need to soak some for tomorrow's snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nutritious and delicious sundal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do not make these sundal at home but totally love it as prasad at the temple. In fact I always use to look forward to Saturday when growing up as this was one of prasadams at the temple on Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very healthy and flavorful sundal. I try to incorporate this into my regular meal at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a regular made snack at home. Simple flavors, protein-packed, can be a filling side too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reminds me of Navratri festivals!Healthy snack Varada...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sundal is my all time fav espcially the temple prasad sundal is my fav among all :) very traditional recipe from TN :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sundal is a wonderful nutritious snack option for kids.. I must include it in my kid's lunch box too as a side

    ReplyDelete
  15. Healthy and yummy sundal. My mother used to prepare it as an evening snack when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.