Dhokla

I have heard a lot about foolproof dhokla recipes. I have one such such recipe. It uses baking soda. Then I heard that using Eno, an antacid, gives better results. Since then dhokla with Eno was on my wishlist.




I do not have step by step pictures for this one. I tweaked the recipe a little.

You will need
For the dough
1 cup channa dal
1/2 cup mung/moong dal
3 tbsp. sour yogurt (I used sour cream as I ran out of yogurt)
1 tsp. ginger paste
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Eno
salt to taste

For the tempering
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. white sesame seeds
a pinch turmeric powder
4-5 curry leaves
1 green chili pepper (optional)

For the garnish
2 tsp. sugar dissolved in 3 tbsp. of water
2-3 tbsp. fresh grated coconut (I used frozen)
2-3 tbsp. cilantro, chopped

1 tbsp. olive oil

Soak the channa dal and moong dal separately for about 3 hours. In a blender add the ginger paste and yogurt. Drain the water from both dals and add them to the blender. Grind to a smooth thick paste. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add all the remaining ingredients for the dough except the Eno.

Grease the bottom of a pressure cooker pan. Keep the pressure cooker ready. Stir in the Eno in the dal mixture and transfer the mixture to the cooking pan. Pressure cook for 5 minutes. Let the cooker depressurize. Let the cooked dal rest for 5 minutes.

Pour the sugar solution over the dhokla. You may skip this step but it helps the dhokla retain its moisture. Cut the dhokla into cubes and let them cool completely.

Heat olive oil in a pan and add the ingredients for the tempering. Pour the tempered oil over the dhokla. Transfer the dhokla to a serving dish and garnish with fresh grated coconut an chopped cilantro.



This is my entry for week four, day three of BM #40 for the theme bookmarked recipes. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#40.

Comments

  1. The dhoklas looks too good Varada! I just love how fluffy it has turned out. Thanks for trying it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dhoklas looks superb and i am craving for it now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dhoklas turned out fluffy and porous. These turned out very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look awesome. Going to give this a try. Ask me to bake a cake or make a pizza crust from scratch or a truckload of Indian food for a whole host of people and I'll excel, but Khaman/ Dhokla always makes me fall flat on my face. Fingers crossed and thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. even though Dhokla is from my statae trust me i can not make them so well..kudos..what an awesome jb with them..i have to book mark this one..and thanks to Sandhya too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dunno y,now i cant imagine making dhoklas without eno salt..they came out extremely soft and light..

    ReplyDelete
  7. My MIL has been asking about different dhokla recipes and I was planning to make a lentil based one for her and here you are with the recipe. Bookmarked to be tried really really soon.
    Dhoklas look so light and fluffy..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a great job Varada, your dhokla looks fabulous..I simply love Dhoklas and can have them anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the addition of moong in dhokla..nice variation. Shall try this out too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Varada, I just love your presentation. Absolutely fantastic. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Varada, I just love your presentation. Absolutely fantastic. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome dhokla Varada! I love the pics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.