Shira / Sheera / Suji Halwa

The other day after a heavy lunch nobody was in the mood for a full meal for dinner. I offered to make upama when my daughter asked if I could make sheera instead. That was when I realized that I did not have the simple sheera recipe on this space. I have banana sheera and mango sheera but not the plain version. So I decided to set that straight and post this recipe right away.


If you choose to heat the milk and water in a microwavable cup use a mitten when pouring it over the rava. I learnt this the hard way when the steam burnt the fingers of my hand.

You will need
2 tbsp. ghee
1 cup semolina or rava
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar

To garnish
Cashews
Raisins
1 pod cardamom
1 tsp. ghee

Heat the ghee in a pan and add the rava. Roast the rava stirring occasionally on low to medium heat taking care it does not burn. Do not let it turn brown.

Combine the water and milk in a microwavable cup and bring to a boil, anywhere from 1 and half to 3 minutes depending upon your microwave. Alternately heat the milk and water in a separate pan on the stove top.

Pour the hot liquid over the roasted rava. Stir to combine and cover. After a minute remove the lid and mix the rava with the now absorbed liquid. Cover and repeat another two times.

In a separate small pan heat the ghee for garnishing and add the cashews. When browned slightly add the raisins. When they puff up turn off heat. Add the cashews and raisins to the sheera. Shell the cardamom and pound the seeds. Add the powder to the sheera. Mix one last time and turn off heat.


Sheera taste great when it is warm.


This is my entry for week three, day three of BM #43 for the theme Healthy Desserts. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#43.

This is also my entry for week 33 for the 2014 52 week challenge for the them Opposite side of the world.

Comments

  1. This is a quickest halwa, I ever made...super easy and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I make this very frequently for my lil one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.