Egyptian Meal

Mediterranean restaurants have popularized food from this region. You probably know and have had most of the dishes from the menu today. But these versions have something in them that made us appreciate the meal a lot.


Falafel, pita bread and hummus are some of the most well known dishes from the Mediterranean. I knew pita bread was easy to make but I had never tried it before. So I decided to build the meal around the pita bread. Salatet Zabadee is a variation of the cucumber salad. This one has mint in it. The recipe called for garlic too, but I simply could not bring myself to add garlic to a cucumber dip, I left it out. I had never heard of Mahalabia, the dessert. It is a very popular Arabic dessert. It is thickened with corn starch and tastes better on day two after spending a day in the refrigerator.


The new ingredient I used for this meal is the fava bean. I have made falafel before using garbanzo beans or chickpeas but for this meal I made the Egyptian version ta'amiya using fava beans. I wanted to use my homemade wild yeast starter to leaven the pita bread but I did not feed it in time so it was not ready. I will try pita bread again with the starter.

As they in Egypt, bil hana wa shifa!

Here are the recipes for the dishes on the menu
And for dessert

Comments

  1. This meal is just amazing, most of the foods you have cooked are my favourite, can have it happily for my lunch without any fuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Varada we have the same countries and similar recipes...and everything there is too good..lovely flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally in love your pictures and meal..such great looking dishes you have selected!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again a nice spread of food from Egypt. Even I wanted to make pita bread at home. May be next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing spread, Varada! Hats off to your patience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing Varada...u are simply rocking....i loved the elements on this platter....the presentation also rocks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious spread Varada , love each dish and u r rocking with photography..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious Egyptian meal you have there Varada.. Everything looks so tempting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a great representation of this cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow such an tempting meal dear :) looks too gud and love the drink you have prepared :) You are rocking women :) Is it going to be all meal platter for rest of the countries too :) kudos to your efforts !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome spread Varada and look the pics. They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful picture this meal making me drool specially Mahalabia yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that board varada! Lovely pic and everything looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb spread and what a stunning click Varada! Love the background. Did you make it yourself? Or is it a table-top?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy spread of dishes.. very temping & hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.